People can be very closed minded and judgmental, so much that they don't even realize how their behaviour affects others around them. They profess love towards others but in the same breath accuse, criticize and condemn those same people whom they apparently love.
Is this how superficial love has become for us? Have we lost the capacity or will to at least make the effort to understand the weight of the phrase "I love you?" We seem to throw that word around carelessly. We love everything and everyone as long as we are the center of attention. We have gone from a society or community to individuals who think nothing of others and everything of ourselves. There is a difference between the individual and the person. An individual stands alone in his own individuality of morals, ideals, beliefs and existence. A person is someone who shares himself with someone else. To say "I love you" is to share yourself with that person, as well as acknowledge the existence of the other person. To declare "I love you" without allowing the other person the same existential validity we please ourselves with makes that phrase a lie and us the liars that utter it.
Interesting read, I also find funny is that we're in an age where I love you is a daunting thing to say to another single person. Yet, you hear it being thrown around casually in conversation? Odd.
ReplyDelete